In this article
What is ADHD?
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder is a fairly common developmental disarray that occurs most often in toddlers and in teens. Its symptoms accompany the child until they reach adulthood, and may not even go away. In the United States, according to the American Psychiatric Association, nearly 5% of children live with ADHD. Below is info about the meaning, the answer on what are the symptoms of ADHD, and the ADHD checklist.
What causes ADHD?
The etiology of ADHD is not well explained. Most researchers suggest the genetic nature of the syndrome. It is assumed that ADHD is determined by mutations of 3 genes that regulate dopamine metabolism.
According to the results of the study, the occurrence of ADHD due to early central nervous system damage signs during pregnancy and childbirth is found in 84% of cases, due to genetic reasons – in 57%, the negative effect of intrafamily factors is proven in 63%.
Symptoms in children and adults may vary
If ADHD in children is manifested in a lack of organization and excessive activity, then adult patients may have problems in cases where they need to solve several tasks at once, count their time or plan something. In addition, these people have difficulties in coping with stress, they often change the mood.
Many believe that this disorder concerns only hyperactive boys with behavior problems. But it affects girls too and often goes unnoticed because girls are usually not so hyperactive and have fewer behavior problems. Ignoring ADHD in women can have devastating consequences for their health, mood, relationships, careers, and finances.
ADHD symptoms in kids based on DSM-IV
Health professionals use The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (or DSM-IV), that is an edition published by the American Psychiatric Association. This document attempts to assess psychiatric diseases along five axes. Here are symptoms they highlight in children.
- The child is poorly organized;
- Often forgets things;
- Because of inattention, the child makes many mistakes and concentrates with difficulty;
- Constantly loses something;
- They listen, but it seems that they do not hear anything;
- Easily distracted by extraneous stimuli;
- Unwilling to perform tasks that require constant attention;
- During the game or when performing any task, it is difficult for the toddler to constantly maintain attention.
Impulsiveness / hyperactivity:
- The baby is very talkative;
- It is difficult for him to sit in one place;
- The baby is always in motion;
- Constantly fussing;
- It is difficult for him to play quietly and calmly;
- A kid runs a lot, fidgets in place, spinning, jumping;
- Often interferes with the conversation, sticks to others;
- The teen has difficulty waiting for their turn;
- Such kids do not think or do not listen to the question, but quickly begins answering.
ADHD symptoms in adults
- A span of attention. People with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder have problems with regular, routine, everyday attention. For example, it is extremely difficult for them to do their homework, pay bills on time, clean the house, report expenses at work, listen to a spouse, or take medication regularly. However, for something new, unusual, stimulating, interesting or terrible people suffering from ADHD pay attention without any problems. They seem to need stimulation to go in for something, and that is why they watch scary films, engage in risky activities and tend to run into conflict in their relationships. Many ADHD patients play the “Let me have problems” game. If such a person is upset, he or she is able to concentrate and perhaps even concentrate excessively on a problem. This trait often misleads others, even doctors.
- Absent-mindedness is another common symptom. Normally, a person is able to block unimportant, distracting things. But not suffering from ADHD: their thoughts and conversations, as a rule, revolve in a circle. Such people are usually too susceptible. For example, labels on the clothes irritate the skin (they have heightened tactile sensitivity). And the clothes should fit them, otherwise, they feel discomfort. They may need white noise at night to fall asleep, contrarily, they hear everything in the house. Absent-mindedness often affects a woman’s ability to orgasm. You need to focus on your sensations long enough for it to arise. After the correct treatment of ADHD, the sexual life of many people becomes much better.
- Many people with ADHD are disorganized. There is a mess in their rooms, on the tables, in the drawers of the tables and in the closets. They are unorganized in terms of time and are often late. Such a person always comes to work 10 minutes later and, as a rule, with a large cup of coffee in his hands, because he needs stimulants like caffeine and nicotine.
- Usually, ADHD sufferers have poor internal control. They do not think before saying something or doing something – that’s why they often end up in unpleasant situations. There are also problems with long-term goals. Such people live only in the present moment. They put things off until the last minute, and it is difficult for them to save money for a rainy day.
You may spend several minutes doing this ADHD symptoms test. To find out if you have a concentration problem, see which of the following statements apply to you:
- You start to get bored easily.
- You usually have a head in the clouds while talking to someone.
- You are easily distracted by something.
- You often become the initiator of conflicts.
- You often say things that you later regret.
- You forget to do what you have promised.
- You get distracted even during sex.
- You find that your disorganization creates problems for you and/or others.
- You have flashes of anger for irrelevant reasons or no reason at all.
- Often your mind is turned off during conversations.
- Do you need music or the sound of a working fan to put your mind to sleep before going to sleep?
If there are more than 4 suitable statements, then it is likely that you have ADHD.