Curcumin supplements usually contain curcumin as the active ingredient plus some other additional ingredients meant to aid in the absorption of the compound.
Curcumin is extracted from turmeric. This is a herb/spice that has for long been used in Asia especially India. It is yellow in color and has a warm bitter taste.
Curcumin benefits include cancer prevention and treatment, arthritis management, diabetes control, anti-aging benefits, even depression and Alzheimer’s disease treatment.
Which are the best curcumin supplements products?
There are hundreds of curcumin supplements in the market today. It is quite impractical to try reviewing them all one by one. As you will find out, the major difference is in the list of additional ingredients added to curcumin to make it more potent. We will go through these ingredients below.
Black pepper contains a compound named piperine. It is used in increasing the availability of certain nutrients in the blood.
Piperine acts as an inhibitor of certain enzymes involved in the digestive process. By inhibiting them, it ensures that the nutrients in question have been absorbed rather than broken down into fecal waste.
It is a very potent ingredient when added to curcumin. It can increase its absorption rate immensely. Black pepper can also be added to homemade turmeric tea. Turmeric tea is a good long-term beverage for it is way less addictive compared to caffeine powder.
This compound is rather new to the market. It is very soluble in water, a feature that makes it effective in increasing the absorption rate of curcumin.
It has also been advertised to contain curcumin traces inside. If manufacturer’s information can be believed, can it? It is said to be more potent than other ‘leading’ curcumin supplements ingredients.
You have probably come across this compound if you are a curcumin supplements user. It is common in curcumin capsules, extract and powder.
Trials have shown that it is safe and effective. It has also been shown to promote the absorption of other nutrients different from curcumin.
The most notable feature of this compound is that it is all natural. Like curcumin, it is extracted from the turmeric plant.
If you want your curcumin all natural and from the same mother plant, BCP-95 is the supplement for you. It has also been advertised to heal joint issues, for depression and inflammations.
Longvida contains traces of curcumin in it. It is soluble in water and can cross the brain-blood barrier to bring about maximum effects.
Like Bioperine, it is a good choice and will increase curcumin availability in the blood as compared to when curcumin is taken alone.
This product is advertised in different products to increase their absorption, including green tea. Its potency is admirable but open for comparison with other available curcumin supplements.
Curcumin extract benefits
Curcumin benefits are many. While some are open to doubt, some clinical and lab tests have revealed that curcumin extract is actually a beneficial product to include in your health regimes. Popular curcumin benefits include:
- It has been shown that people with a tendency of taking curcumin extract have a lower risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease. Curcumin encourages the growth of new brain networks and nerves. It is common for people with progressive brain impairments to be suffering from lost neuro networks, one of brain fog causes. This is one of the popular anti-aging benefits of curcumin.
- Taking curcumin capsules has been shown to lessen the symptoms of osteoarthritis. It also helps in easing the pain caused by inflamed knees in people with rheumatoid arthritis. It is important to note that curcumin is not a potential cure for arthritis but an effective management option.
- Mental health is seen to improve in people using curcumin capsules. This is particularly for depression patients. Using other nootropics such as uridine anxiety supplement can help relieve stress and anxiety.
- Tests have shown that compounds known as phytoestrogens can be increased by curcumin products. These are compounds that can help in preventing the development and spread of malignant cells.
- People with ulcers of the stomach have been shown to experience faster healing when taking curcumin capsules.
- Angiogenesis, a process through which cancer cells develop blood vessels for provisions has been shown to reduce in curcumin nootropic users. It is for this reason that curcumin help as a potential cure for cancers of the colon, breast and skin.
- General immunity is boosted by curcumin natural healing properties. For example, curcumin is a natural antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent. It can help in the eradication of free radicals which cause cancer and skin aging.
Curcumin extract dosage
Curcumin can be accessed in powder form, spice, tablets, and capsules. It is also there as a flavor in some kinds of butter, curry powder and cheeses.
The correct curcumin dosage depends on whether you are using a supplement to aid in the absorption process or using the curcumin extract on its own.
With absorption supplements, dosages of 50-500mg are effective in most cases. The best approach is to start with the lowest dosage to avoid severe side effects and reactions.
Without an absorption aid, most of the curcumin will be removed from the body as waste. It, therefore, will require doses measuring more than 4 g. In fact, some users have gone to extents of using up to 15 g. This is an extremely high dose and of course not cost-effective. Always ensure that your curcumin extract contains any of the absorption aids discussed above.
When using curcumin for gastrin related issues such as bloating, lower dosages of 2 g will be okay. In this case, an absorption aid is not important.
Curcumin nootropic side effects
Curcumin is well-tolerated in most cases. This is as long as it has been used according to the provided instructions.
Some curcumin side effects such as heartburn and gastric discomfort have been reported. This will be elevated by the use of very high doses. It is always important to start with a lower dose and work your way up. Also, consult a doctor should the curcumin side effects persist.
Information on drugs interactions with curcumin is not largely available. However, it has been shown that blood sugar can be lowered by curcumin products. It is therefore important that you take caution when using curcumin if you have diabetic symptoms. Don’t use curcumin and relaxers such as L-theanine at the same time. The two can promote blood clotting insensitivity.
Don’t use curcumin products if you have liver and gallbladder disorders. The breakdown of the curcumin capsules and products requires a lot of liver functions and can contribute to the worsening of liver disorders.
If pregnant, curcumin products might increase the urge to urinate. Have your doctor’s take if using curcumin when breastfeeding.
Where to buy curcumin supplements and products
Any nootropics online vendor is likely to have curcumin supplements in their stocks. You can buy it in capsules powder or whatever form you prefer.
Curcumin is widely available and should not be hard to get online. It is always advisable to buy from a reputable vendor or whose information you can find online. This is to ensure that you are being sold the right products. In this case, ensure that an absorption aid has been included.