In this article
What is Ritalin?
Ritalin is a pharmacological brand name for methylphenidate hydrochloride, available under the names Methylphenidatum, Centedrin, Rilatine, Methylphenidate Hydrochloridum, Methylphenidate Hydrochloride, Meridil, Centredrin. Ritalin medication belongs to a class of narcotics, such as cocaine, amphetamines.
There was not yet such medicine that would cause so much cognizance and so much disagreement. The media often represent Ritalin in a negative light. Parent organizations appeared furiously fighting against. In due season word leaked out a Scientology sect is behind such publications. Scientologists take known true facts about Ritalin and deliberately distort them. However, as far as we know, this is one of the most effective and safe medicines in the medical world.
Health Benefits of Ritalin
- ADHD: This brain disease of inheritance nature is characterized by severe inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsivity. Ritalin is useful for patients with ADHD 6 years and older. Changes in the structure of the brain have been discovered in children with ADD. From 75 to 90% of the carefully selected tentative group of children according to accepted criteria, reacted well or very well to Ritalin.
- Narcolepsy: Narcolepsy is a sleep disorder characterized by excessive daytime sleepiness and uncontrollable sleep bouts during the day. Ritalin helps improve these symptoms.
- Brain boosting: In recent years, the consumption of Ritalin for the purpose of psychological self-improvement has become massive. Students believe that the drug contributes to the concentration of attention during the pre-exam preparation. What can be the long-term effects such an amateurish activity are still unknown.
- High-functioning autism: The instructors and parents both stated that the kids demonstrated a huge drop in impulsivity. The guardians likewise discovered reductions in touchiness and improper discourse, and enhancements in social abilities and noted fewer instances of unseemly enthusiastic behavior, for example, chuckling at miserable occasions.
The dosage depends on the age and weight, health conditions and needs. In addition, the dosage also depends on the form the user takes. Ritalin generic drugs are available in tablets, which are available in immediate-release, sustained-released, and extended-release forms. It is also available as capsules, an adhesive transdermal patch, and an oral suspension. Ritalin 20 mg (slow release one) lasts for up to 8 hours. Ritalin SR is particularly suited for middle and high secondary students. ADHD Ritalin 10mg dosage in children also differs based on the type of tablets the user takes.
Initial dose is administered before breakfast, the second before lunch, and the third between two four PM. Patients switching from immediate release Ritalin tablets to the extended-release form should take the total dose of the immediate-release tablets once daily. For instance, if switching from Ritalin ADHD 15mg twice daily dose of immediate-release tablets, a patient should take 30mg of the extended-release form once daily.
Overdosage on any stimulant, including Ritalin, can be fatal and requires emergency care. Some overdose symptoms include:
- Uncontrolled vomiting
- Fast heart rate
- Severe chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Dry mouth and nostril
- Loss of consciousness
Mechanism of Action of Ritalin High
Although how Ritalin acts in the brain is not clear, many experts agree that it alters the neurochemicals in the midbrain to control impulses. Ritalin works in the striatum and prefrontal cortexes, areas of the cerebrum that are imperative to fixation and attention. It might likewise enhance the circulation of assets, including glucose, with the goal that the cerebrum can work all the more proficiently.
Researchers at Duke University found that it raises the amount of serotonin in the brain and does not accumulate in the body. The peak of his exposure is about an hour after taking the pill. Duration of exposure is only two-four hours. Is Ritalin an amphetamine? No. It is chemically similar to cocaine. It gives a “shake”, that drug addicts are chasing. In 2000, the Counter Narcotics Agency released a study in whichpeople were given both of them. The people tested were not able to determine the contrast!
How long does Ritalin stay in your system?
The rate at which meds and different substances are present in the body relies upon your own rate of digestion, age, weight, and level of muscle to fat ratio. Here is an expected time, amid which Ritalin drug can be recognized by different techniques:
- Pee test: one- two days
- Blood test: around 12 hours
- Salivation test: one to two days
- Hair follicle test: up to 90 days
Ritalin Side Effects and Withdrawal Symptoms
Ritalin has both short-term and long-term side effects, which depend on the form and dose of the drug the user takes. Short-term Ritalin effects include:
- Thorax pain
Long term effects of Ritalin include:
- Recurrent seizures
- Suicidal tendency
- Tourette’s syndrome
One of the aftereffects that disturbs moms and dads is when the child seems over-mediated during drug action. Offsprings seem disconnected from what’s happening around him, and parents compare their behavior with a robot or a zombie. In these cases, the dose can be cut down.
Since it is also applied intravenously, dissolving the tablet in water, the grazing is as follows – Ritalin itself dissolves very well in water, but in the tablet there are substances that are not liquefiable in water, forming a suspension. When this slurry is injected into the vein, it clogs the vessels, forming blood clots.
A study conducted with children who mistakenly or deliberately took too much dose of Methylphenidate Ritalin found that in 32% of the cases there were side effects. None of the side effects has endangered the child’s life.
Is Ritalin addictive? Yes, as with other stimulants, people who use it become tolerant and they need increasing amounts of the drug to achieve the same Ritalin high or level of effect. This can lead to drug addiction and snorting Ritalin amplifies this addictive potential.
Warnings and Contraindications
Consult a physician before using Ritalin and note the following precautions.
- Some medicines may interact with Ritalin, increasing the risk of certain side effects. Some of these drugs include Tramadol and Wellbutrin (Bupropion). The concomitant use of tramadol or Wellbutrin and Ritalin significantly increases the risk of seizures.
- Patients who are allergic to methylphenidate or who have a personal or family history of high blood pressure, Glaucoma, heart disease, hyperthyroidism, psychological disorders such as anxiety, and seizure disorders should avoid this drug.
- Pregnant women may use it only if the potential benefits outweigh the risks to the fetus.
- Ritalin and alcohol are conflicting.
How and Where to Buy Ritalin
Generic Ritalin is available in drugstores with a doctor’s prescription. One can also buy Ritalin online in retail stores. Check labels of Ritalin pills to know the strength and dose before purchasing the product. For tablets, check the type before purchasing to avoid dosage irregularities and complications.
In the United States, Ritalin is a reason for strict control and serious criminal penalties are imposed on abusive Ritalin. The punishment for the first drug offense imposes up to 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $ 1 million.